What is shock?
- Shock is the result of delivering a relatively high impact force over a short time period.
- This shock wave of energy is responsible for causing injury or damage to the impacted individuals or items.
- Adverse effects, such as damage or injury, occur as the energy of the shock is transferred to the affected entity from the source of the impacting force.
Damping is the absorption and safe dispersal of energy resulting in a decrease in amplitude (strength) of the energy wave, or a change in frequency. Energy is transformed to safer levels and/or frequencies.
Shock’s damaging effects and how you can damp shock
- The transfer of damaging shock energy that originates from an impact force causes damage and injury.
- Shock, and its resultant transfer of energy, will ultimately result in inefficiencies such as waste, rework, and downtime.
- You can counteract harmful effects of shock by discovering a method for the safe effective absorption of shock energy. What is a good shock damper material? Sorbothane® is the most efficient material currently available for energy absorption. It is the best shock damper on the market.
- Whether you need a shock damping material that will provide injury protection for workers, relief from equipment breakdowns, or a decrease in damaged product, you will find that Sorbothane can best meet your needs. Industrial equipment operators, athletes, pneumatic tool users, delicate cargo, and colliding machine parts, can all benefit from the shock damping properties of Sorbothane.
What is Sorbothane, and how can it effectively damp shock?
- Demonstrating viscoelastic characteristics, Sorbothane is a one-of-a-kind polymeric material. A viscoelastic polymer, Sorbothane demonstrates the properties of both a liquid (a viscous solution—ones that can flow) alongside of those of a solid (an elastic material).
- Sorbothane flows as a liquid when it is impacted by shock.
- Sorbothane displays elastic solid properties when it returns to its original shape once an impacting force is removed.
- By achieving the safe dispersal of absorbed energy, Sorbothane demonstrates a property unique to the viscoelastic polymer. This energy is dissipated as heat—outward from the source of the shock.
- So—what is a good shock damper material? Sorbothane—achieving an energy shockwave absorption rate approaching 95 percent.
- Engineers the world over specify Sorbothane for its shock damping properties.
Addressing your shock damping needs with Sorbothane®
Sorbothane has created a line of products that provide superior shock damping capability.
- Damage and destruction of sensitive cargo is mitigated by Sorbothane Pallet Isolation Rings.
- Sorbothane provides protection to machinery with its Bushings and Washers.
- Address unique applications with our Strips and Sheet Stock.
Contact Sorbothane to discuss your unique needs, including customization, with our skilled engineering staff.