What is shock?
- When a high impact force is delivered across a relatively short time period, the result is shock.
- This energy shock wave causes damage or injury to effected items or individuals.
- These undesirable effects result from the transfer of shock energy from the source of the impact to the affected entity.
Shock’s damaging effects and how you can isolate shock
- Damaging shock energy that is transferred from an impact force causes damage and injury.
- Ultimately, shock will cause downtime, rework, and waste.
- To avoid the damaging effects of exposure to shock, a methodology for safely and effectively absorbing shock energy must be employed. Utilizing a mounting material with superior shock absorption properties is such a methodology. What are good shock mount materials? As the most effective energy absorbing material in use today, Sorbothane® is the best shock mount material available.
- Whether you require a shock mount material that is capable of minimizing the breakdown of equipment, decreasing product damage, or optimizing design, you will discover that Sorbothane® is best at meeting your shock mount needs. You will also realize an increase in your bottom line as you improve damage, injury, and loss rates.
What is Sorbothane®, and how can it effectively isolate shock?
- Sorbothane®, comprised of a proprietary polymeric material, displays unique properties of visco-elasticity. Thus, Sorbothane® possess the attributes of a liquid (a viscous solution—ones that can flow) in addition to those of a solid (an elastic material).
- When our unique polymeric material is impacted by shock, it flows in the manner of liquid.
- By returning to its original shape, following the removal of an impacting force, Sorbothane® is displaying elastic solid characteristics.
- Sorbothane® provides a safe dispersal of absorbed energy, demonstrating a uniquely visco-elastic polymeric property. This energy dissipation is directed outward—away from the source of the shock impact. It is safely dispersed as heat energy.
- What are good shock mount materials? Those made with Sorbothane®, a material that achieves a shock absorption rate that approaches nearly 95 percent—over millions of cycles.
- Since 1982, Sorbothane® has been specified by engineers around the globe due to its superior shock mount capabilities.
Addressing your shock mount requirements with Sorbothane®
The Sorbothane® line contains products designed for a variety of shock mount applications.
- Sorbothane® Pallet Isolation Rings provide protection from shock, minimizing damage to delicate or sensitive items during shipment.
- Shock protection is provided to machinery by utilizing internal mounts. In addition to our Sorbothane® Bushings and Washers, Sorbothane® can be caste into any shape and thickness to create your custom required mount. You can address shock mount issues in-house with our Strips and Sheet Stock.
- Floor mounts isolate your equipment from shock and vibration that cause equipment creep.
- You will discover the unique shock isolation properties of Sorbothane® when Sorbothane® mounts are incorporated into your designs. These include: Hard Drive Carriers and Corner Mounts, Isolation Feet used in CD/DVD Players and Speakers.
Contact the experienced engineering staff at Sorbothane®. We will address your information, assistance, and custom needs.