What is Shock?
- Shock results when a relatively high impact force is delivered in a short amount of time.
- This shock wave of energy is responsible for causing injury or damage to the individuals or items on the receiving end of the shock wave.
- These adverse effects occur as the energy of the shock is transferred from the source of the impact force to the affected entity.
Damaging Effects of Shock and Shock Resistance
- The transfer of damaging shock energy that originates from an impact force causes damage and injury.
- Shock will ultimately lead to rework, waste, and downtime.
- To resist the detrimental effects of shock, you need to discover a means for safely and effectively absorbing shock energy.
What is the Best Type of Shock Resistant Material?
- Sorbothane® is the most efficient energy absorbing material available today. It is the best shock resistant material on the market.
- Whether you need a shock resistant material that will protect workers from injury, equipment from breakdown, or product from damage, you will find Sorbothane® to be the best at meeting your need. Runners, industrial equipment operators, pneumatic tool users, machine parts, and sensitive cargo all benefit from the shock resistant properties of Sorbothane®. Avoiding injury, damage, and loss will improve your business’s bottom line.
What is Sorbothane® and How Can It Effectively Resist Shock?
- Sorbothane® has been on the market since 1982. This unique polymeric material demonstrates visco-elastic properties. As a visco-elastic polymer, Sorbothane® will possess the properties of a liquid (a viscous solution—ones that can flow) together with those of a solid (an elastic material).
- When impacted by shock, Sorbothane® will flow as a liquid.
- Once a force is removed, Sorbothane® displays the characteristics of an elastic solid by returning to its original shape.
- Sorbothane®, displaying a unique property of a visco-elastic polymer, safely disperses absorbed energy. This energy is dissipated outward from the source of the shock impact in the form of heat.
- What is the best type of shock resistant material? Sorbothane®—this proprietary material has accomplished energy shockwave absorption of nearly 95 percent. And, unlike fluid-based or foam shock absorbers, Sorbothane® has been proven to be capable of this level of shock absorption for millions of cycles.
- Sorbothane® is specified by engineers worldwide for its shock resistant properties.
Addressing Your Shock Resistant Needs with Sorbothane®
Sorbothane® has created a line of products that afford shock resistance protection.
- Sorbothane® Pallet Isolation Rings resist shock that damages or destroys delicate or sensitive items during shipping.
- Machinery is protected by our Sorbothane® Bushings and Washers.
- By combining our Isolation Rings, Bushings, and Washers, you are effectively creating a floating bolt—isolating your equipment from damaging metal-to-metal contact.
- You will discover unique Sorbothane® products, such as our Soft-Blow Mallet, that will benefit your workers.
- Strips and Sheet Stock, available from Sorbothane®, provide you with the opportunity to address your unique applications.
Interested in learning how Sorbothane can work as a shock resistant solution for your product or application? Contact Sorbothane today to learn more or request a quote.